Eastern Michigan University
Ypsilanti, Michigan 48197
Total enrollment at EMU is approximately 24,300 students, including about 5,600 graduate students. About 60 percent are women. Students come from forty-two states and ninety countries, but most are residents of southeast Michigan. The University has been recognized by U.S. News & World Report for fostering a favorable climate for diversity.
The Location and Community
Programs of Study and Degree Requirements
Facilities & Resources
All of the departments and programs have state-of-the-art facilities and equipment to support the students' fields of study. These range from research-quality Fourier Transform IR, UV, and visible spectrophotometers in the chemistry department; a fully equipped, 10-inch f/14 apochromatic refractor telescope for the study of astronomy; and an electron microscopy and photomicrography suite in the biology department to 200 computers and designated spaces for work in such areas as robotics and cluster computing in the computer science department to a counseling/reading/speech and hearing clinic to support studies in those areas of education and psychology.
There are also many organized research units at EMU. These include the Centers for Corporate Training, one of the leading University-based training operations in the nation, which comprises more than 100 program offerings for hundreds of major national and international companies; the Center for Environmental Information Technologies and Applications, an applied GIS research unit; the Center for Research Support; Coatings Research Institute and its affiliated NSF Center for Coatings Research; High Power Laser Laboratory; Institute for Community and Regional Development, which links faculty members and students to communities to address specific public-service needs; Institute for Diversity and Business Services, which provides practical assistance to minority businesses and communities; Institute for the Study of Children, Families, and Communities; the Linguist (international linguistics Web site dedicated to providing information on language and language analysis); Microbiology Research Facility; Molecular Biology Research Facility; National Institute for Consumer Education; Textiles Research and Training Institute; and the Urban Water Research Consortium.
Expenses and Aid
How to Apply
The office serves as a consultant to faculty and staff on international student affairs and act as a catalyst for the development of various international connections in the University and/or community to promote international education and understanding. It initiates enhancement programs such as cross-cultural activities on and off campus.
Who to Contact
• Art: Art Education (M.A.), Studio Art (M.F.A.), Studio Art (M.A.).
• Biology: Community College Teaching (M.S.), Ecosystem (M.S.), General Biology (M.S.), Molecular/Cellular Biology (M.S.), Physiology (M.S.), Water Resources (Certificate).
• Chemistry: Chemistry (M.S.).
• Communications and Theater Arts: Arts Administration (M.A.), Communication (M.A.), Interpretation/Performance Studies (M.A.), Drama/Theater for the Young (M.A.), Drama/Theater for the Young (M.F.A.), Theater Arts (M.A.).
• Computer Science: Artificial Intelligence (Certificate), Computer Science (M.S.).
• Economics: Applied Economics (M.A.), Economics (M.A.), Health Economics (M.A.), International Economics and Development (M.A.), Trade and Development (M.A.).
• English Language and Literature: Children's Literature (M.A.), Creative Writing (M.A.), English Linguistics (M.A.), Literature (M.A.), Written Communication (M.A.).
• Foreign Languages and Bilingual Studies: French (M.A.), German (M.A.), German for Business Practices (Certificate), Hispanic Language and Culture (Certificate), Language and International Trade (M.A.), Spanish (M.A.), Spanish Bilingual/Bicultural Education (M.A.), TESOL (Certificate, M.A.).
• Geography and Geology: Geographic Information Systems (M.S.), Geographic Information Systems and Remote Sensing (M.S.), Geographic Information Systems-Planning (M.S.), Geography (M.A.), Heritage Interpretation and Tourism (M.S.), Historic Preservation (Certificate, M.S.), Historic Preservation Administration (M.S.), Historic Preservation Planning (M.S.), Urban and Regional Planning (M.S.), Water Resources (Certificate).
• History and Philosophy: Advanced State and Local History (Certificate), History (M.A.), Social Science (M.A.), Social Science and American Culture (M.L.S.)., State and Local History (Certificate).
• Mathematics: Applied Statistics (M.A.), Math-Computer Science (M.A.), Math Education (M.A.), Mathematics (M.A.).
• Music: Choral Music (M.A.), Music Education (M.A.), Music Performance (M.A.), Music Theory/Literature (M.A.), Piano Pedagogy (M.A.).
• Physics and Astronomy: General Science (M.S.), Physics (M.S.), Physics Education (M.S.).
• Political Science: Public Administration (M.P.A.).
• Psychology: Clinical Behavioral Psychology (M.S.), Clinical Psychology (M.S., Ph.D.), Psychology (M.S.).
• Sociology, Anthropology, and Criminology: Criminology and Criminal Justice (M.A.), Sociology (M.A.), Sociology-Family Specialty (M.A.).
• Women's Studies: Women's Studies (M.L.S.).
• COLLEGE OF BUSINESS
• Master of Science Degrees: Accounting, Human Resource and Organizational Development, Information Systems.
• Graduate Business Programs: Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.). Program specializations in Computer Information Systems, E-Business, Entrepreneurship, Finance, Human Resource Management, International Business, Nonprofit Management, Supply-Chain Management.
• Graduate Certificates: Accounting-Financial and Operational Controls, Accounting-Taxation, Business Administration, Computer Information Systems, E-Business, Entrepreneurship, Finance, Human Resource Management, International Business, Marketing Management, Nonprofit Management, Organizational Development, Quality Management, Supply-Chain Management.
• COLLEGE OF EDUCATION
• Teacher Certification: Provisional Teacher Certificate-Elementary, Professional Teacher Certificate-Elementary, Provisional Teacher Certificate-Secondary, Professional Teacher Certificate-Secondary.
• Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance: Adapted Physical Education (M.S.), Physical Education-Pedagogy (M.S.), Sports Medicine-Biomechanics (M.S.), Sports Medicine-Corporate Fitness (M.S.), Sports Medicine-Exercise Physiology (M.S.).
• Leadership and Counseling: College Student Personnel (M.A.), Community Counseling (M.A.), School Counseling (M.A.), Leadership (Sp.A., M.A., Ed.D.).
• Special Education: Administration and Supervision (Sp.A.), Curriculum Development (Sp.A.), Emotionally Impaired (M.A.), General (M.A.), Hearing Impaired (M.A.), Individualized Instruction (Sp.A.), Learning Disabilities (M.A.), Mentally Impaired (M.A.), Physically and Otherwise Health Impaired (M.A.), Speech-Language Pathology (M.A.), Visually Impaired (M.A.).
• Teacher Education: Curriculum and Instruction (M.A.), Early Childhood Education (M.A.), Elementary Education (M.A.), Development and Personality (M.A.), Educational Media and Technology (M.A., Certificate), Educational Psychology Research and Evaluation (M.A.), Interdisciplinary Cultural Studies (M.A.), Middle-Level Education (M.A.), Reading (M.A.), Secondary Education (M.A.), Teaching for Diversity (M.A.).
• COLLEGE OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES
• Associated Health Professions: Clinical Research Administration (Certificate), Occupational Therapy (M.O.T., M.S.).
• Human, Environmental, and Consumer Resources: Apparel, Textiles, and Merchandising (M.S.), Hotel and Restaurant Management (M.S.), Human Nutrition (M.S.), Interior Design (M.S.).
• Nursing: Adult Nursing Practitioner (Certificate), Nursing (M.S.N.), Teaching in Health-Care Systems (Certificate).
• Social Work: Gerontology (Certificate), Dementia (Certificate), Family and Children's Services (M.S.W.), Mental Health and Chemical Dependency (M.S.W.), Services to the Aging (M.S.W.).
• COLLEGE OF TECHNOLOGY
• Business and Technology Education: Business Education (M.B.E.), Industrial-Vocational Education (M.S.), Information Security (Certificate), Legal Administration (Certificate), Technology Education (M.S.).
• Industrial Technology: CAD/CAM (M.S.), Construction (M.S.), Engineering Management (M.S.), Quality (M.S.), Quality Technology (Certificate).
• Interdisciplinary Technology: Information Security (M.L.S.), Interdisciplinary Technology (M.L.S.), Polymer Technology (M.S.).