New York University
Tisch School of the Arts
New York, NY
Approximately 3,285 students are enrolled at the Tisch School of the Arts: 2,500 are undergraduates and 785 are graduate students.
The Location and Community
Programs of study and degree requirements
Included in the Institute of Performing Arts is the Graduate Acting M.F.A. program, which offers professional conservatory training. The Department of Dance offers an M.F.A. program for dancers and choreographers that provides a full range of technical training and a solid base for creative work. The Department of Design for Stage and Film offers professional training in art direction as well as scenic, costume, and lighting design leading to an M.F.A. degree. The Graduate Musical Theatre Writing M.F.A. program trains lyricists, book writers, and composers, with an emphasis on the collaborative process. The Department of Performance Studies offers the M.A. and Ph.D. to those interested in scholarly investigation of the full range of performance, from theater and dance to ritual and popular entertainment.
The Maurice Kanbar Institute of Film and Television includes the Rita and Burton Goldberg Department of Dramatic Writing, which offers an M.F.A. to those specializing in writing for the stage, film, and television. The Graduate Film M.F.A. program encompasses every aspect of filmmaking, including cinematography, editing, sound design, writing, directing, and producing. The Interactive Telecommunications Program offers a Master of Professional Studies in the study and design of new communications, media forms, and applications.
The Skirball Center for New Media includes the Department of Cinema Studies, which offers the M.A. and Ph.D. to those engaged in scholarly study of the history, aesthetics, and criticism of the moving image and other media technologies. The M.A. degree in moving image archiving and preservation is also offered.
Facilities & Resources
Most departments maintain their own libraries, archives, or research facilities. Of particular note are the Oliver Smith Design Library, the George Amberg Study Center in Cinema Studies, and the Alternate Media Center of the Interactive Telecommunications Program. The Department of Performance Studies, which edits The Drama Review (TDR) and Women and Performance, is affiliated with the Shubert Archive.
Students have access to the collections and resources of New York University's eight libraries, including the Elmer Holmes Bobst Library, one of the largest open-stack research libraries in the world.
Expenses and Aid
How to Apply / Application
Who to Contact
Graduate Acting Program
• Hovey Burgess, Jim Calder, Richard Feldman, Deborah Hecht, Kim Jessor, Karl Kenzler, Deborah Lapidus, Laurence Maslon, Ann Mathews, Fernanda Mello, Joanna Merlin, Scott Miller, Mona Stiles, Rosemarie Tichler, Frank Ventura, J. Steven White, Beverly Wideman, Shane Ann Younts, Larry Yurman, Janet Zarish.
Department of Dance
• Matthew Adelson, Patricia Beaman, Kay Cummings, Elizabeth Frankel, Kathleen Grant, Deborah Jowitt, Joy Kellman, Phyllis Lamhut, James Martin, Lynn Martin, Jolinda Menendez, William Moulton, Cassandra Phifer, Pamela Pietro, Giovanna Sardelli, Deidre Smith, Gus Solomons jr., James Sutton, Andy Teirstein, Jaclynn Villamil, Andrea Woods.
• Joined each year by prominent guest artists.
Department of Design for Stage and Film
• Campbell Baird, John Conklin, Lowell Detweiler, Mary Louise Geiger, Constance Hoffman, Allen Lee Hughes, Andrew Jackness, Christine Jones, Tom Lynch, Curt Ostermann, Maggie Raywood, David Stein, Paul Steinberg, Salvatore Tagliarino, Robert Wierzel, Christopher Young, Kristi Zea.
Graduate Musical Theatre Writing
• Core Faculty: Fred Carl, Martin Epstein, Robert Lee, Mel Marvin, Sybille Pearson.
• Adjunct Faculty: Lee Adams, Deborah Brevoort, Marie Costanza, Mindi Dickstein, Donna DiNovelli, William Finn, Rob Hartmann, Wiley Hausam, Michael John La Chiusa, Margo Lion, Larry Maslon, Polly Pen, Mike Reid, Scott Richards, Rachel Sheinken.
• Major guest teachers have included Susan Birkenhead, Ted Chapin, Stephen Flaherty, Ricky Ian Gordon, Adam Guettel, Sheldon Harnick, Luther Henderson, Tina Landau, Harold Prince, Ira Weitzman, and Jerry Zaks.
Department of Performance Studies
• Deborah Kapchan, Barbara Kirshenblatt-Gimblett, André Lepecki, José Muñoz, Tavia Nyong'o, Ann Pellegrini, Richard Schechner, Karen Shimakawa, Anna Deavere Smith, Diana Taylor, Allen Weiss.
Graduate Division, Maurice Kanbar Institute of Film and Television
• Jay Anania, David Atkins, Yvette Biró, Charles Blackwell, Andy Brown, Mick Casale, Arun Chaudhury, Christine Choy, Pennie DuPont, Carol Dysinger, Hampton Fancher, Boris Frumin, Ronald Gray, Tom Haneke, Bethany Jacobson, Anthony Janelli, Spike Lee, Roz Lichter, Karen Ludwig, Milcho Manchevski, Sheila Nevins, Robert Nickson, Bill Reilly, Jennifer Ruff, Gail Segal, Norman Schwartz, Sandi Sissel, Peter Stein, Joe Warfield, Kristi Zea.
Rita and Burton Goldberg Department of Dramatic Writing
• Walter Bernstein, Donald Bogle, Deloss Brown, Lonnie Carter, Cindy Chupack, Elizabeth Diggs, Martin Epstein, Gordon Farrell, Andrew Frank, Mary Gallagher, Gary Garrison, Brian Goluboff, Linda Gottlieb, Elana Greenfield, Rinne Groff, Arthur Kopit, Leslie Lee, Norman Levy, Rob Lieber, David Loucka, George Malko, Patty Marx, Jeremy Pikser, Vicki Polon, Charles Purpura, David Ranghelli, Jackie Reingold, Carol Rocamora, Charlie Rubin, Paul Selig, Charlie Schulman, Richard Sweren, Adrienne Thompson, Joe Vinciguerra, Doug Wright, Thomas Zafian.
• Major guest artists and/or lecturers have included Marshall Brickman, William Goldman, John Guare, Amy Heckerling, Tina Howe, Kenny Lonergan, Marsha Norman, Wendy Wasserstein, and Mac Wellman.
Department of Cinema Studies
• Richard Allen, Howard Besser, Ed Guerrero, Mona Jinenez, Antonia Lant, Sarah Ziebell Mann, Anna McCarthy, Annette Michelson, Toby Miller, Rina Elster Pantalony, William Simon, Robert Sklar, Robert Stam, Zhang Zhen.
Interactive Telecommunications Program
• Chris Ault, Michael Barnwell, Jake Barton, Kadambari Baxi, Veronique Brossier, Christine Brumback, Sergio Canetti, Dennis Crowley, Gideon D'Arcangelo, R. Luke DuBois, Richard Eng, Tirtza Even, Jeff Federson, Jean-Marc Gauthier, Robert Greenberg, Heather Greer, Nancy Hechinger, Todd Holoubeck, Tom Igoe, Sean Kelly, Art Kleiner, Frank Lantz, Laura Lee, Nancy Lewis, Marc Libarle, Peter Menderson, Frank Migliorelli, Andrew Milmoe, Mark Napier, Daniel O'Sullivan, Dan Palkowski, Marianne Petit, David Reinfurt, Daniel Rozin, Douglas Rushkoff, Michael Schneider, Gary Schober, Daniel Shuffman, Clay Shirky, Billy Sullivan, Christopher Sung, Anthony Townsend, James Tu, Kathy Wilson, Shawn VanEvery, Tucker Viemeister, Marina Zurkow.