University of Oklahoma
Norman, Oklahoma

The Graduate College is the center of advanced study, research, and creative activity for the University of Oklahoma. Faculty members and students share an obligation to achieve greater knowledge in their chosen fields and to present their achievements to the scholarly community. Students were first accepted at the University in 1892. Graduate instruction was offered as early as 1899, and the first master’s degree was conferred in 1900. The Graduate School was formally organized in 1909, and the first doctorate was awarded in 1929.

Enrollment was 24,500 students on the Norman campus and 2,693 at the Health Sciences Center during the 2005-06 academic year. More than 3,200 of these students were enrolled in the Graduate College in Norman and nearly 1,000 in the Graduate College at the Health Sciences Center. Approximately one third of the graduate students at the University of Oklahoma are enrolled in doctoral programs. Approximately one fifth of the student body comes from out of state, with students from every state. In addition, international students from seventy-two nations make up nearly 20 percent of the graduate student body.

The Location and Community
As part of the dynamic Southwest, Oklahoma benefits from both its rich historic heritage and the vital and modern growth of its metropolitan areas. Although by location a suburb of Oklahoma City, Norman is an independent community with a permanent population of more than 95,000. Norman residents enjoy extensive parks and recreation programs and a 10,000-acre lake and park area.

Programs of Study and Degree Requirements
The University of Oklahoma (OU) combines a mixture of academic excellence, varied social cultures, and a blend of scholarly and creative activities that offer exceptional opportunities for graduate study. Graduate education is offered in more than 100 master’s programs and fifty-three doctoral programs on the Norman campus. At the OU Health Sciences Center (OU-HSC), located 19 miles away in Oklahoma City, graduate degrees are offered in twenty-nine master’s programs and sixteen doctoral programs. In addition to the Doctor of Philosophy, the University confers the Doctor of Education, Doctor of Engineering, Doctor of Musical Arts, and Doctor of Public Health. The University of Oklahoma also offers graduate programs at the Tulsa Graduate Research and Education Center located approximately 120 miles northeast of the main campus in the city of Tulsa, Oklahoma. On the Tulsa campus, OU offers graduate programs in architecture, urban studies, human relations, library and information studies, organization dynamics, public administration, social work, and telecomputing. Interdisciplinary degree programs are available at both the master’s and doctoral levels on all three campuses. Master’s degree programs require a minimum of 30 semester hours of course work. Doctoral programs require a minimum of 90 semester hours of course work and are awarded for excellence in research scholarship. Doctoral students are also required to complete general written and oral examinations and defend the results of their dissertation research.

Facilities & Resources
OU is in the process of establishing a new research campus with a center for genomic and biogenetic research, a field in which OU is a national leader. Research and scholarly activity take place on the well-landscaped 567-acre main campus in Norman, which houses most of the University’s academic colleges and research buildings. The University of Oklahoma provides an exceptional networking and computational environment for students and faculty and staff members. All graduate students at the University of Oklahoma have access to electronic mail service, digital libraries, the Internet, a central help desk, campus software and licensing, and many other benefits to enhance their graduate experiences. The academic areas of campus are part of the University intranet system that provides computer access in residence halls, classrooms, student computer labs, and University offices. The University maintains an OC-3 high-speed connectivity to the commercial Internet, allowing seamless access to graduate resources elsewhere in the world. The University is a charter member of the Internet2 and vBNS initiatives and continues to expand the technological possibilities for research. The $50-million Sarkeys Energy Center has 200 teaching and research laboratories, as well as classrooms and offices and the Youngblood Energy Library. There are central advanced analytical services, including the Electron Microprobe Library and Samuel Robert Noble Electron Microscopy Laboratory.

The Norman campus houses Bizzell Memorial Library, the largest in the state, with more than 4.2 million volumes, 17,000 periodicals, 1.6 million documents, 3 million microforms, and 400,000 photographs. Special collections include the internationally known History of Science Collections, the Western History Collections, and the Political Commercial Archives. There are also six specialized branch libraries. The new Sam Noble Museum of Natural History opened in 2000. The 195,000-square-foot facility is the largest university-based museum in the country. The museum is home to 6 million artifacts including the longest Apatosaurus, and priceless Native American objects. The Fred Jones Jr. Art Center, the Catlett Music Center, and the Rupel L. Jones Theatre provide excellent facilities for graduate studies in the College of Fine Arts. In 2005, the Fred Jones Jr. Art Center opened a new addition, designed by acclaimed architect Hugh Newell Jacobsen of Washington, D.C. Named in honor of Mary and Howard Lester of San Francisco, the wing adds more than 34,000 square feet to the earlier 27,000-square-foot building. The University of Oklahoma Press and World Literature Today are two internationally recognized agencies for research and scholarship. The University’s 622-acre south campus includes the Oklahoma Center for Continuing Education (OCCE) and the research programs of the Institute for Community and Economic Development. The White Forum Building at OCCE supports research symposia and teleconferencing. The OCCE is fully equipped with AV equipment and satellite communications capability. The University also has a north campus of 1,675 acres, which includes the University Research Park, incubator firms, NOAA’s National Severe Storms Laboratory, and the National Weather Service’s advanced weather forecasting office. OU’s Health Sciences Center includes a 200-acre complex of educational, research, and health-care facilities operated by nineteen public and private entities along with an 11-acre College of Medicine campus in Tulsa. The OU-HSC is the recipient of an $8.7-million grant, which established the Oklahoma Center for Molecular Medicine.

Expenses and Aid
Tuition for Oklahoma residents is $215.30 per graduate credit hour; nonresident tuition is $714 (nonresidents appointed as at least half-time graduate assistants pay the in-state rate). In addition, a $54 health fee and a $50 student facilities fee were charged each semester.

Financial Aid:
Nearly one third of all graduate students attending the University are employed by their departments as either teaching or research assistants. Salaries for these positions vary from unit to unit, but the University average is $9,773 for graduate teaching assistants and $13,697 for graduate research assistants. Out-of-state tuition is waived for all students holding a half-time teaching or research assistantship up to 9 credit hours..

Housing/Living Expenses:
The monthly rent for University-owned apartments ranges from $615 to $934. There are a large number of privately owned apartments, duplexes, and houses available in Norman, many of which are served by the University’s Campus Area Rapid Transit (CART) system.

How to Apply / Application
Application procedures vary depending on the student’s academic background. There is a $40 application fee for U.S. citizens and permanent residents and a $75 application fee for international students. Applications for assistantships, fellowships, and other forms of financial aid should be directed to the academic units. Deadlines vary from department to department, but applications should generally be filed no later than January for students desiring admission in the fall term.

International Students
At OU, you will be joining more than 1,600 international students from 106 nations currently attending the University of Oklahoma. Our international students contribute to the vibrant diversity of our student body and join students from every ethnic group and every state in the United States. As an international student, you will have opportunities to participate with other students in a wide variety of educational and cultural activities, including the many international organizations.

Consideration for graduate-level study requires the completion of a degree comparable to a United States bachelor's degree with superior grades from an accredited institution of higher education. This typically means the completion of a degree of at least four years duration beyond the 12th year of school.

Who to Contact
University of Oklahoma
Graduate College
731 Elm Avenue
Norman, Oklahoma 73019

Web site home page

Graduate Departments
The names of the programs and the degrees offered are listed along with the telephone number. The area code for all numbers is 405 except for the nursing program, which is a toll-free number.

Norman Campus

• Accounting (M.Ac.): telephone: 325-4221; e-mail:

• Accounting (Ph.D.): telephone: 325-4221; e-mail:

• Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering (M.S., Ph.D.): telephone: 325-1735; e-mail:

• Anthropology (M.A., Ph.D.): telephone: 325-2490; e-mail:

• Architecture (M.Arch., M.L.A., M.R.C.P., M.S.C.A.): telephone: 325-2444; e-mail:

• Art (M.A., M.F.A.): telephone: 325-2691; e-mail:

• Botany and Microbiology (M.S., Ph.D.): telephone: 325-6281; e-mail:

• Business Administration (M.B.A., Ph.D.): telephone: 325-2931; e-mail:

• Chemical Engineering (M.S., Ph.D.): telephone: 325-4366; e-mail:

• Chemistry and Biochemistry (M.S., Ph.D.): telephone: 325-2967; e-mail:

• Civil Engineering and Environmental Science (M.S., Ph.D.): telephone:325-4253; e-mail:

• Communication (M.A., Ph.D.): telephone: 325-1571; e-mail:

• Computer Science (M.S., Ph.D.): telephone: 325-0566; e-mail:

• Dance (M.F.A.): telephone: 325-4051; e-mail:

• Drama (M.A., M.F.A.): telephone: 325-4021; e-mail:

• Economics (M.A., Ph.D.): telephone: 325-2861; e-mail:

• Education (M.Ed., Ph.D., Ed.D.): telephone: 325-5976; e-mail:

• Electrical and Computer Engineering (M.S., Ph.D.): telephone: 325-4721; e-mail:

• Engineering (M.S., Ph.D.): telephone: 325-2621; e-mail:

• Engineering Physics (M.S., Ph.D.): telephone: 325-3961; e-mail:

• English (M.A., Ph.D.): telephone: 325-6219; e-mail:

• Geography (M.A., Ph.D.): telephone: 325-5325; e-mail:

• Geology and Geophysics (M.S., Ph.D.): telephone: 325-3253; e-mail:

• Health and Sports Sciences (M.S.): telephone: 325-2717; e-mail:

• History (M.A., Ph.D.): telephone: 325-6058; e-mail:

• History of Science (M.A., Ph.D.): telephone: 325-2213; e-mail:

• Human Relations (M.H.R.): telephone: 325-1756; e-mail:

• Industrial Engineering (M.S., Ph.D.): telephone: 325-3721; e-mail:

• International Studies (M.A.): telephone: 325-8893; e-mail:

• Journalism and Mass Communication (M.A.): telephone: 325-5206; e-mail:

• Landscape Architecture (M.L.A.): telephone: 325-2444; e-mail:

• Liberal Studies (M.L.S.): telephone: 325-1061; e-mail:

• Library and Information Studies (M.L.I.S.): telephone: 325-3921; e-mail:

• Mathematics (M.A., M.S., M.S./M.B.A., Ph.D.): telephone: 325-3971; e-mail:

• Meteorology (M.S., Ph.D.): telephone: 325-6097; e-mail:

• Modern Languages (French, German, Spanish for M.A., Ph.D.): telephone: 325-6181;

• Music (M.Mus., D.M.A.): telephone: 325-5344; e-mail:

• Music Education (M.Mus.Educ., Ph.D.): telephone: 325-5344; e-mail:

• Natural Science (M.Nat.Sci.): telephone: 325-1498; e-mail:

• Petroleum and Geological Engineering (M.S., Ph.D.): telephone: 325-2921; e-mail:

• Philosophy (M.A., Ph.D.): telephone: 325-6491; e-mail:

• Physics and Astronomy (M.S., Ph.D.): telephone: 325-3961; e-mail:

• Political Science (M.A., Ph.D.): telephone: 325-5517; e-mail:

• Professional Meteorology (M.S.): telephone: 325-6097; e-mail:

• Psychology (M.S., Ph.D.): telephone: 325-4599; e-mail:

• Public Administration (M.P.A.): telephone: 325-5517; e-mail:

• Regional and City Planning (M.R.C.P.): telephone: 325-2399; e-mail:

• Social Work (M.S.W.): telephone: 325-2821; e-mail:

• Sociology (M.A., Ph.D.): telephone: 325-1571; e-mail:

• Zoology (M.S., Ph.D.): telephone: 325-5271; e-mail:

Health Sciences Campus (e-mail:

• Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (Ph.D.): telephone: 271-2227.

• Biological Psychology (M.S., Ph.D.): telephone: 271-2011.

• Biostatistics and Epidemiology (M.S., M.P.H., Ph.D., Dr.P.H.): telephone:271-2229.

• Cell Biology (M.S., Ph.D.): telephone: 271-2377.

• Communication Sciences and Disorders (M.S., Ph.D.): telephone: 271-4124.

• Health Administration and Policy (M.H.A., M.P.H., M.P.A./M.P.H., M.P.H./M.B.A., M.P.H./J.D., M.P.H./M.D., Dr.P.H.): telephone: 271-2114.

• Health Promotion Sciences (M.S., M.P.H., Dr.P.H.): telephone: 271-2017.

• Microbiology and Immunology (M.S., Ph.D.): telephone: 271-2133.

• Neuroscience (M.S., Ph.D.): telephone: 271-2406.

• Nursing (M.S., M.S./M.B.A.): telephone: 877-367-OURN (toll-free).

• Nutritional Sciences (M.S.): telephone: 271-2113.

• Occupational and Environmental Health (M.S., M.P.H., M.S./J.D., Ph.D., Dr.P.H.): telephone: 271-2070.

• Orthodontics (M.S.): telephone: 271-6087.

• Pathology (Ph.D.): telephone: 271-2693.

• Periodontics (M.S.): telephone: 271-6531.

• Pharmaceutical Sciences (M.S., M.S./M.B.A., Ph.D.): telephone: 271-3830.

• Physiology (M.S., Ph.D.): telephone: 271-2226.

• Radiological Sciences (M.S., Ph.D.): telephone: 271-5132.

• Rehabilitation Sciences (M.S.): telephone: 271-2131.

Go To Profile Index Page

Go To Top Of Page