University of Oklahoma
Enrollment was 24,500 students on the Norman campus and 2,693 at the Health Sciences Center during the 2005-06 academic year. More than 3,200 of these students were enrolled in the Graduate College in Norman and nearly 1,000 in the Graduate College at the Health Sciences Center. Approximately one third of the graduate students at the University of Oklahoma are enrolled in doctoral programs. Approximately one fifth of the student body comes from out of state, with students from every state. In addition, international students from seventy-two nations make up nearly 20 percent of the graduate student body.
The Location and Community
Programs of Study and Degree Requirements
Facilities & Resources
The Norman campus houses Bizzell Memorial Library, the largest in the state, with more than 4.2 million volumes, 17,000 periodicals, 1.6 million documents, 3 million microforms, and 400,000 photographs. Special collections include the internationally known History of Science Collections, the Western History Collections, and the Political Commercial Archives. There are also six specialized branch libraries. The new Sam Noble Museum of Natural History opened in 2000. The 195,000-square-foot facility is the largest university-based museum in the country. The museum is home to 6 million artifacts including the longest Apatosaurus, and priceless Native American objects. The Fred Jones Jr. Art Center, the Catlett Music Center, and the Rupel L. Jones Theatre provide excellent facilities for graduate studies in the College of Fine Arts. In 2005, the Fred Jones Jr. Art Center opened a new addition, designed by acclaimed architect Hugh Newell Jacobsen of Washington, D.C. Named in honor of Mary and Howard Lester of San Francisco, the wing adds more than 34,000 square feet to the earlier 27,000-square-foot building. The University of Oklahoma Press and World Literature Today are two internationally recognized agencies for research and scholarship. The University’s 622-acre south campus includes the Oklahoma Center for Continuing Education (OCCE) and the research programs of the Institute for Community and Economic Development. The White Forum Building at OCCE supports research symposia and teleconferencing. The OCCE is fully equipped with AV equipment and satellite communications capability. The University also has a north campus of 1,675 acres, which includes the University Research Park, incubator firms, NOAA’s National Severe Storms Laboratory, and the National Weather Service’s advanced weather forecasting office. OU’s Health Sciences Center includes a 200-acre complex of educational, research, and health-care facilities operated by nineteen public and private entities along with an 11-acre College of Medicine campus in Tulsa. The OU-HSC is the recipient of an $8.7-million grant, which established the Oklahoma Center for Molecular Medicine.
Expenses and Aid
How to Apply / Application
Consideration for graduate-level study requires the completion of a degree comparable to a United States bachelor's degree with superior grades from an accredited institution of higher education. This typically means the completion of a degree of at least four years duration beyond the 12th year of school.
Who to Contact
• Accounting (M.Ac.): telephone: 325-4221; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Accounting (Ph.D.): telephone: 325-4221; e-mail: email@example.com.
• Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering (M.S., Ph.D.): telephone: 325-1735; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Anthropology (M.A., Ph.D.): telephone: 325-2490; e-mail: email@example.com.
• Architecture (M.Arch., M.L.A., M.R.C.P., M.S.C.A.): telephone: 325-2444; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Art (M.A., M.F.A.): telephone: 325-2691; e-mail: email@example.com.
• Botany and Microbiology (M.S., Ph.D.): telephone: 325-6281; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Business Administration (M.B.A., Ph.D.): telephone: 325-2931; e-mail: email@example.com.
• Chemical Engineering (M.S., Ph.D.): telephone: 325-4366; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Chemistry and Biochemistry (M.S., Ph.D.): telephone: 325-2967; e-mail: email@example.com.
• Civil Engineering and Environmental Science (M.S., Ph.D.): telephone:325-4253; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Communication (M.A., Ph.D.): telephone: 325-1571; e-mail: email@example.com.
• Computer Science (M.S., Ph.D.): telephone: 325-0566; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Dance (M.F.A.): telephone: 325-4051; e-mail: email@example.com.
• Drama (M.A., M.F.A.): telephone: 325-4021; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Economics (M.A., Ph.D.): telephone: 325-2861; e-mail: email@example.com.
• Education (M.Ed., Ph.D., Ed.D.): telephone: 325-5976; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Electrical and Computer Engineering (M.S., Ph.D.): telephone: 325-4721; e-mail: email@example.com.
• Engineering (M.S., Ph.D.): telephone: 325-2621; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Engineering Physics (M.S., Ph.D.): telephone: 325-3961; e-mail: email@example.com.
• English (M.A., Ph.D.): telephone: 325-6219; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Geography (M.A., Ph.D.): telephone: 325-5325; e-mail: email@example.com.
• Geology and Geophysics (M.S., Ph.D.): telephone: 325-3253; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Health and Sports Sciences (M.S.): telephone: 325-2717; e-mail: email@example.com.
• History (M.A., Ph.D.): telephone: 325-6058; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• History of Science (M.A., Ph.D.): telephone: 325-2213; e-mail: email@example.com.
• Human Relations (M.H.R.): telephone: 325-1756; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Industrial Engineering (M.S., Ph.D.): telephone: 325-3721; e-mail: email@example.com.
• International Studies (M.A.): telephone: 325-8893; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Journalism and Mass Communication (M.A.): telephone: 325-5206; e-mail: email@example.com.
• Landscape Architecture (M.L.A.): telephone: 325-2444; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Liberal Studies (M.L.S.): telephone: 325-1061; e-mail: email@example.com.
• Library and Information Studies (M.L.I.S.): telephone: 325-3921; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Mathematics (M.A., M.S., M.S./M.B.A., Ph.D.): telephone: 325-3971; e-mail: email@example.com.
• Meteorology (M.S., Ph.D.): telephone: 325-6097; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Modern Languages (French, German, Spanish for M.A., Ph.D.): telephone: 325-6181; e-mail:email@example.com.
• Music (M.Mus., D.M.A.): telephone: 325-5344; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Music Education (M.Mus.Educ., Ph.D.): telephone: 325-5344; e-mail: email@example.com.
• Natural Science (M.Nat.Sci.): telephone: 325-1498; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Petroleum and Geological Engineering (M.S., Ph.D.): telephone: 325-2921; e-mail: email@example.com.
• Philosophy (M.A., Ph.D.): telephone: 325-6491; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Physics and Astronomy (M.S., Ph.D.): telephone: 325-3961; e-mail: email@example.com.
• Political Science (M.A., Ph.D.): telephone: 325-5517; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Professional Meteorology (M.S.): telephone: 325-6097; e-mail: email@example.com.
• Psychology (M.S., Ph.D.): telephone: 325-4599; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Public Administration (M.P.A.): telephone: 325-5517; e-mail: email@example.com.
• Regional and City Planning (M.R.C.P.): telephone: 325-2399; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Social Work (M.S.W.): telephone: 325-2821; e-mail: email@example.com.
• Sociology (M.A., Ph.D.): telephone: 325-1571; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Zoology (M.S., Ph.D.): telephone: 325-5271; e-mail: email@example.com.
Health Sciences Campus (e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org)
• Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (Ph.D.): telephone: 271-2227.
• Biological Psychology (M.S., Ph.D.): telephone: 271-2011.
• Biostatistics and Epidemiology (M.S., M.P.H., Ph.D., Dr.P.H.): telephone:271-2229.
• Cell Biology (M.S., Ph.D.): telephone: 271-2377.
• Communication Sciences and Disorders (M.S., Ph.D.): telephone: 271-4124.
• Health Administration and Policy (M.H.A., M.P.H., M.P.A./M.P.H., M.P.H./M.B.A., M.P.H./J.D., M.P.H./M.D., Dr.P.H.): telephone: 271-2114.
• Health Promotion Sciences (M.S., M.P.H., Dr.P.H.): telephone: 271-2017.
• Microbiology and Immunology (M.S., Ph.D.): telephone: 271-2133.
• Neuroscience (M.S., Ph.D.): telephone: 271-2406.
• Nursing (M.S., M.S./M.B.A.): telephone: 877-367-OURN (toll-free).
• Nutritional Sciences (M.S.): telephone: 271-2113.
• Occupational and Environmental Health (M.S., M.P.H., M.S./J.D., Ph.D., Dr.P.H.): telephone: 271-2070.
• Orthodontics (M.S.): telephone: 271-6087.
• Pathology (Ph.D.): telephone: 271-2693.
• Periodontics (M.S.): telephone: 271-6531.
• Pharmaceutical Sciences (M.S., M.S./M.B.A., Ph.D.): telephone: 271-3830.
• Physiology (M.S., Ph.D.): telephone: 271-2226.
• Radiological Sciences (M.S., Ph.D.): telephone: 271-5132.
• Rehabilitation Sciences (M.S.): telephone: 271-2131.